Saturday, May 24, 2008

Being Grateful, and the Power of Luck

Last night my Mom took me out to dinner to celebrate my graduation, because I was supposed to be up in Berkeley this weekend walking in a cap and gown, but didn't. She got me all these gifts, and so did my Grandpa, and I felt so awkward. I finally realized what it was, and I turned to my Mom and said, "Couldn't've done it without you." My Mom replied with a sarcastic, "Oh yeah, because I did all the work." The complexity of human relationships fascinates me...and ultimately makes me ridiculously happy. In this example, I've just realized that reaching my goals and fulfilling my dreams couldn't have been achieved as easily as they were without the help of my Mom, who has supported me not only financially, but emotionally as well. In this situation, I feel kind of awkward accepting all the congratulations, because I don't really know if I could've done it all without the help of my Mom, and numerous other people as well. On the other hand, my Mom is just happy and proud that her only daughter has been able to finish school; that her daughter set a goal and achieved it. For a Parent, there's probably not too many other feats that make a parent feel so fulfilled. I'm sorry...I don't really know where I'm going with this.

I guess I'm just really grateful. Not just because of my Mom, but my Dad, Chris, all my Grandparents, all my friends who stood by my side when I left theirs, all my friends up North who helped me feel comfortable in my own skin.

I've heard that in order to take advantage of Luck you need to be able to put yourself in the position where you can be offered Luck. Right now, I'm just feeling great, and I'm not sure that I actually had anything to do with it.

In any case...it's time to finish this nonsense...thank you everybody who helped me, I love you, you make my life worth living. Sorry if this was weird and confusing.

No comments: